Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.

Go down 
+8
BurtonOblivion
KeithBroChill
Disturbed Dan
mrbishop77
dolemike
PreRox
The Stank of Mangina
Colonel Mortimer
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Colonel Mortimer
Admin
Colonel Mortimer

Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Empty
PostSubject: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 10:37 pm

Ok so the basic idea of this thread is to discuss who you think was born out of their time. Who would've fit better in cinema if they were born later or earlier?

Jeffrey Combs - This guy could've gone so much further if he was around Vincent Prices age during the 60's. he has the perfect amount of ham and charisma that just reminds me of a mix of Price and Cushing. Unfortunately the whole 'horror star' thing seems to have fallen out of favor with the public leaving not much for him to do. Or at least not as much work as he could've done had he been born much earlier.

Mario Bava
- I love Bava's movies as they are but I always feel that maybe he would've been better suited if he was making films in the 20's. A sort of Fritz Lang character making stunning expressionistic movies in the early days before hopping over to universal to direct films for them. I know Lang never made Universal Horror flicks but I would've loved to have seen Bava do that. I think his style (minus the color of course) would've been more or less the same, but he would've gotten to work with much better actors and scripts while also being able to explore cinema in the really early days when visuals were more or less what mattered most.
Back to top Go down
https://exploitnation.forumotion.com
The Stank of Mangina

The Stank of Mangina

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 12:22 am

I totally agree with the combs statment i feel like his acting is very over the top and extremely expressionistic which would have really gone well with 50's and 60's horror and sci fi. He was great in the movies that he did do but his talent is and was very under utilized
Back to top Go down
PreRox

PreRox

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:38 am

Ray Harryhaussen ...his imagination and stories with todays special fx ...look out although i love the crude special fx too
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 5:03 am

Orson friggin' Welles!

Both CITIZEN KANE & TOUCH OF EVIL were way ahead of their time and failed with audiences in thei rrespective times.

But then, if he didn't make then when he did, who knows when-or if the bar ever would've been raised.

Charles Laughton too.

Audiences didn't know what to make of NIGHT OF THE HUNTER @ the time of release and it's box office failure put Laughton off from ever making another film.
Back to top Go down
mrbishop77

mrbishop77

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:04 am

Let's make it racy hot in here:

Rob Zombie - if he were actually making films in the era he is obsessed with would we really even be paying attention to him now? My guess is he wouldn't be anything more than a second rate Alice Cooper or Wes Craven.....wait....
Back to top Go down
Disturbed Dan

Disturbed Dan

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 10:46 am

Rob Zombie.... nice. Where exactly would his idea's come from if he was born in that era? More original thought? It would be worse but we would be eating it up. So it's probably better that he was born back then.

I can't think of one actor off the top of my head, except for jeffrey combs and that was pretty much nailed already. To be edited later...
Back to top Go down
KeithBroChill

KeithBroChill

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:12 pm

I hate Rob Zombie's movies, but I'd watch the shit out of a Rob Zombie western. Call me crazy? Would have rather seen him flourish in the 70's where he fits in better, however I agree he would be third rate even then.

Jeffry Combs comment is spot on. His role in The Frighteners is my favorite of his.
Back to top Go down
http://mondoholocausto.blogspot.com/
Colonel Mortimer
Admin
Colonel Mortimer

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 2:37 pm

I think the thing with Rob Zombie unlike say Mario Bava is that Zombie needs movies like TCM to rip off so if you were to put him back in to the 70s I don't think his style would be anything like what it currently is. Unlike Bava who I think would stay the same aside from color.

John Saxon I've always sort of felt that John Saxon would've done a lot better if he were around during the 40s doing noir films. He has that sort of look about him.
Back to top Go down
https://exploitnation.forumotion.com
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 4:21 pm

Speaking of actors, Hollywood sorely could use a Lee Marvin or a Charles Bronson these days.

Whatta we got for badasses these days?
Back to top Go down
BurtonOblivion
BurtonOblivion

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 8:00 pm

dolemike wrote:
Speaking of actors, Hollywood sorely could use a Lee Marvin or a Charles Bronson these days.

A bunch of youngsters barely out of their diapers. I hate that there are no badass men's men around acting today.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/advocacyrising
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 9:41 pm

BurtonOblivion wrote:
dolemike wrote:

A bunch of youngsters barely out of their diapers. I hate that there are no badass men's men around acting today.

Yeah.

Shia LaBeef FTL. No
Back to top Go down
rm237

rm237

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:22 pm

We need a guy like Benicio Del Toro to step up.

The 'action star' has almost toally disappeared in recent years...CGI has taken mainstage to the actors. I don't know if anyone will agree, but Wes Anderson, love him or hate him, is keeping it old school. He is surely as apt a predessor as anyone to the styles of Bergman, Scorsese, etc...The long static shots and his propensity to linger on expressions; letting you appreciate the sublteties of the frame and the shots.

Last edited by rm237 on Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The Stank of Mangina

The Stank of Mangina

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 pm

rm237 wrote:
We need a guy like Benicio Del Toro to step up.

The 'action star' has almost toally disappeared in recent years...CGI has taken mainstage to the actors. I don't know if anyone will agree, but Wes Anderson, love him or hate him, is keeping it old school. He is surely as apt a predessor as anyone to the styles of Bergman, Scorsese, etc...The long static shots and his propensity to lingering expressions; letting you appreciate the sublteties of the frame and the shots.

I agree Anderson is probably one of the last orginal film makers around right now. Hes a great writer and one of the most visually dynamic directors in the world at the moment. His use of colors and camerawork in Darjeeling were breathtaking especially the train shots.

Last edited by The Mask of Stan on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
SethDLH

SethDLH

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 11:37 pm

100% agreed w/ Jeffrey Combs.
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 2:14 am

OK, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say Tod Slaughter, if only because his films - which range from good to absolutely terrible - would have benefitted from the change of the "H" certificate to the "X" certificate and the loosening of restrictions placed on films that fell under the "A" certificate. Without those tight restrictions placed on his work - and the fact that by the time the 50s came rolling in, British horror was actually performing well at the box office - Slaughter would have been able to do more of what he want he wanted to do and his productions would have been greatly enriched.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com
mrbishop77

mrbishop77

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 25, 2008 8:15 am

Colonel Mortimer wrote:
I think the thing with Rob Zombie unlike say Mario Bava is that Zombie needs movies like TCM to rip off so if you were to put him back in to the 70s I don't think his style would be anything like what it currently is. Unlike Bava who I think would stay the same aside from color.

John Saxon I've always sort of felt that John Saxon would've done a lot better if he were around during the 40s doing noir films. He has that sort of look about him.

Exactly my thoughts on Zombie to the T.

Saxon was making films in the mid 50's. He had quite a career switch once he started working in Europe, specifically Italy. So glad for it. Yeah, I think he would have been awesome in noir. Hell, he is awesome in anything he is in.
Back to top Go down
jimpickens

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 10:55 am

Quentin Tarantino this guy is a natural for the the 60s mod hipster scene and like Rob zombie would fit in perfectly with the gridhouse/drive in scene of the 70s and early 80s. In speaking of the 80s Zombie would've been the perfect fit for the horror scene of that decade particularly the slasher genre.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.   Actors/Directors etc born out of their time. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Actors/Directors etc born out of their time.
Page 1 of 1