Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sleazoid Express

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BurtonOblivion
BurtonOblivion

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeThu Apr 10, 2008 8:54 pm

Sleazoid Express Jacket

Sleazoid Express, by Bill Landis and Michelle Clifford is a great little book about the grindhouse culture of the 42nd street-Times Square theater area. The book is organized into chapters that each focus on the specialty of a certain theater in the area, giving a brief history of the theater, what it was notorious for, and then jumping into the genre most readily associated with said house.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, as it really digs into some pretty obscure stuff. The only thing I was unhappy with was the fact that it sort of ignored a lot of what (at least in my mind) are pretty big names in the cycle, in favor of the lesser knowns. It could be that I just have a different perspective, only being aware of this stuff after the fact, and that different films have a big reputation today than the films that were popular at the time... but really, there are a few that I was shocked were just flat out excluded.

Either way, check this book out. It's interesting stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/advocacyrising
Colonel Mortimer
Admin
Colonel Mortimer

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I just read the introduction chapter of this and I like their approach so far and where they're going with it. It seems as though they leave a lot of the bullshit snobby critic stuff behind and just go straight in to it.

It's one hell of a refreshing book to read after having to read through a pretentious film theory book for uni. Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://exploitnation.forumotion.com
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 8:39 pm

What are some of "the big names" they left out and "lesser knowns" they included?
Back to top Go down
BurtonOblivion
BurtonOblivion

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 11:48 pm

dolemike wrote:
What are some of "the big names" they left out and "lesser knowns" they included?

Well, Russ Meyer and Larry Cohen really get no mention, other than in passing for the purpose of comparison. The Blaxploitation chapter spends a fair amount of time on Rudy Ray Moore (Which has really made me want to get some Dolemite stuff), but ignores Pam Grier's non-WIP stuff.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 5:02 am

BurtonOblivion wrote:
dolemike wrote:

Well, Russ Meyer and Larry Cohen really get no mention, other than in passing for the purpose of comparison. The Blaxploitation chapter spends a fair amount of time on Rudy Ray Moore (Which has really made me want to get some Dolemite stuff), but ignores Pam Grier's non-WIP stuff.
Weird, since Grier's WIP stuff really shouldn't count as blaxploit.

There's only 2 original DOLEMITE flicks- DOLEMITE & HUMAN TORNADO, but he's made a couple of more recent sequels.

I probably don't need to say that I think they're worth a look! afro
Back to top Go down
BurtonOblivion
BurtonOblivion

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 5:05 am

dolemike wrote:
BurtonOblivion wrote:
dolemike wrote:

Weird, since Grier's WIP stuff really shouldn't count as blaxploit.

There's only 2 original DOLEMITE flicks- DOLEMITE & HUMAN TORNADO, but he's made a couple of more recent sequels.

I probably don't need to say that I think they're worth a look! afro

Sorry, I should have clarified. Grier's Blax stuff is not discussed. The WIP stuff is, in the chapter that discusses WIP films. Black Mama, White Mama is discussed in that chapter.
Back to top Go down
dolemike
Admin
dolemike

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSun Apr 13, 2008 5:16 am

BurtonOblivion wrote:

Sorry, I should have clarified. Grier's Blax stuff is not discussed. The WIP stuff is, in the chapter that discusses WIP films. Black Mama, White Mama is discussed in that chapter.

Oh. I get you.

BLACK MAMA is a weird one in that it really doesn't fall into any one category.

WIP? A little bit.

Blax? Not really. Even though I included it in my top 20 list because I'd rather have included it than some others I've seen that aren't top 20 material.

Phillipino revolution flick might be more appropriate?

Chicks on the run?

But then something like THE BIG BIRD CAGE would fit that as well...

Christ, a guy could slice and dice these things into a million subgenres that haven't even been given names yet! Shocked
Back to top Go down
EddieDingle

EddieDingle

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 2:41 am

Does this book have good pictures?
Back to top Go down
Colonel Mortimer
Admin
Colonel Mortimer

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 3:03 am

I don't remember too many pictures. Pick up Nightmare USA or something, that has tonnes. But it's only about horror unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
https://exploitnation.forumotion.com
BurtonOblivion
BurtonOblivion

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 4:49 am

EddieDingle wrote:

No. It has great text though... you know, the stuff in books?
Back to top Go down
EddieDingle

EddieDingle

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeFri Sep 12, 2008 7:29 am

BurtonOblivion wrote:
EddieDingle wrote:

No. It has great text though... you know, the stuff in books?

Your sarcasm is hilarious. As I said in my other post...

"Isn't one of the most important aspects of a film its visual appeal? So in that case, I think it would be nice to see some cool pictures while reading a book about films."
Back to top Go down
Dave
Admin
Dave

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeWed Dec 31, 2008 4:56 am

Just found out Bill Landis died last week.

Bummer.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmsthatwitnessmadness.com
EddieDingle

EddieDingle

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2009 6:10 am

anyone know what movie that is on the front?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sleazoid Express Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sleazoid Express   Sleazoid Express Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sleazoid Express
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Exploitation Goodies :: Exploitation related books-
Jump to: